Michael Sharp is Specialty Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Administrative Law. He has represented clients before numerous federal and state agencies and has been listed in the peer publication “Best Lawyers in America” in the field of Healthcare continuously since 1991.Mr Sharp has annually been listed in Superlawyers in the field of Administrative law in the State of Texas.
In addition to his experience as an assistant Judge Advocate General (JAG) in legal proceedings in prosecution and defense in the U.S. Air Force, Mr. Sharp served as Administrative Assistant, Legislative Assistant, and Personnel Director for then Texas Governor Dolph Briscoe, Director of the State Program on Drug Abuse, and General Counsel and chief of staff for the Texas Health Facilities Commission.
Mr. Sharp has been in private practice in Administrative and Health law since 1976, representing clients in informal proceedings and formal proceedings involving Texas and Federal agencies. These cases include licensure defense, quality assurance, peer review, Medicare and Medicaid quality of care and fraud cases. In addition, Mr. Sharp has advised medical provider groups in business and risk management matters.
Mr. Sharp is an advocate for health providers, both as to their regulatory burdens and their work environments. He currently serves on the Texas Medical Board’s Disciplinary Stakeholder Group, which reviews and provides feedback to the TMB as it develops and revises its disciplinary rules and policies.
The following is a representative list of Administrative Agencies in which Mr. Sharp has tried cases:
- Texas Medical Board
- Texas State Board of Physician Assistant Examiners
- Texas Medical Foundation (Medicare)
- Texas Medicaid Audits
- CMS Medicare Audits
- Texas Medicaid OIG
- Texas Medical Foundation Medicare QA
- Hospital Medical Staffs
- Texas State Board of Dental Examiners
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
- Texas Board of Nursing
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Licensed Professional Counselors
- Texas Board of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Texas State Board of Pharmacy
- Texas State Board of Public Accountancy
- Texas State Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners
- Texas Department of Health
- Texas Department of Human Services
- Texas State Board of Physical and Occupational Therapy Examiners
- Medical Licensure Boards of other states
- Texas Department of Licensure and Regulation
In addition to this extensive administrative experience listed above, Mike has also litigated administrative cases at the State Office of Administrative Hearings through full trial hearings as well as the SOAH mediation process.
- Administrative Law, 1989-present (Recertified 1994, 1999, 2009) (Texas Board of Legal Specialization)
- Solo practice, 1988-1999
- Sharp, Tackett & Davidson, 1981-1988
- Davis, Davis and Sharp, 1976-1980
- Texas Health Facilities Commission, 1975-1976
- Governor Dolph Briscoe, 1973-1975
Director, State Program on Drug Abuse
- United States Air Force, 1970-1973
Assistant Staff Judge Advocate
- Austin Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Federal District Court, Northern and Western Districts of Texas
- Health Law Section, State Bar of Texas, Austin Bar Association
- Advisory Commission on Certification in Administrative Law,
State Bar of Texas (1989 – 2001)
- Administrative Law Exam Commission, State Bar of Texas (1999- 2001)
- Administrative Law Committee, State Bar of Texas (1988)
- Bachelor of Arts, Southern Methodist University, 1967
- Juris Doctor, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1970
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Health Law, since 1991 to present
- Selected by peers in The Best Lawyers in America (Health Care), 1991-present.
- Listed in “Superlawyers,” edition of Austin Magazine, since 2002.
- Listed in “Superlawyers,” Administrative Law, Texas Monthly for more than ten years.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell for 29 years.
United States Air Force, 1970-1973
Assistant Staff Judge Advocate
- Medicare Fraud: How to Recognize a Felony. Texas Health Law Reporter. March 13, 1986.
- Numerous Health Law and Administrative Law continuing education courses to Bar and Provider groups
Professional and Community Activities
- Free Wheelchair Mission (Uganda) June-July 2011
- Tarrytown United Methodist Church, Austin,TX
Honduras medical mission, January 2005
- First United Methodist Church, Austin, TX
Chairman of Administrative Board, 1981-1982
Lay Leader, 1983-1984
Appalachia Service Project, 1989, 1990, 1991
- Mission to Mexico, 1985
- Former President, Northwest Austin Civic Association
- Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association
- American Quarter Horse Association
Additional Personal Information
Married to his college sweetheart for 45 years, and the father of three daughters and a growing number of grandchildren, Mr. Sharp “relaxes” by competing in cutting horse competitions and raising cattle. He is a member of the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Association, the American Quarter Horse Association, and the National Ranch Cutting Horse Association.